Purpose: The Garden Assistant assists the Head Gardener to beautify the grounds.
Reports to: Head Gardener.
Supervises: Summer garden crew.
Confidentiality: None special required.
- Valid Alaska Driver’s License with acceptable driving record.
- Must be willing and able to work outside for extended period of time in all weather conditions, including rain, wind or snow.
- Must be physically able to walk, bend, kneel, routinely lift and carry heavy items.
- Must be energetic, flexible and outgoing.
- Must not be afraid of physical work or getting dirty.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week plus overtime as needed.
- Must be able to work outdoors as part of a group as well as independently.
- Must be able to be supervised as well as able to supervise others.
- Must have acute attention to detail.
- Skilled and efficient at watering and knowing when watering is required.
- Basic plant identification and nomenclature required. Must be willing to learn more.
- Basic plant biology – understanding annual/perennial/woody plant growth habits and pruning techniques unique to each.
Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
- Work directly with the Head Gardener following instructions as given.
- Anticipate and foresee tasks which need completion each week, reporting them to Head Gardener and coordinating with supervisor to make sure they are accomplished.
- Perform various greenhouse tasks such as, transplanting seedlings, taking vegetative cuttings, watering, weeding and cleaning up all areas.
- Monitor all growing areas for pests as part of an integrated pest management system.
- Carry out summer crew supervision under the direction of the Head Gardener.
- Watering both greenhouse and outdoors. Some weekends required during the entire season. You will be responsible for keeping plants alive during weekend shifts!
- Assist Head Gardener in supporting and enforcing all Alaska State Fair rules.
- Monitor and maintain equipment – greenhouses, tools (mower, weed whip, etc), pickups, fences, etc.
- Ensuring the safety of personnel and equipment at all times.
- Adhere to OSHA requirements.