Alaskans are taking over the Alaska State Fair! Well, not literally … This year, for the first time ever, we’ve invited six talented, interesting Alaskans to “take over” the Fair Instagram account for a day.
What’s a takeover, you ask? Takeovers are popular activities on social networks where different people “take over” an account for the day. The Anchorage Economic Development Corporation’s (AEDC) “I Love Anchorage” campaign was a popular example where Anchorage residents took over the AEDC Instagram account. During the campaign, a different person took over the AEDC’s Instagram account for several days, posting about their life, work and play in the city.
In the Fair takeover, each of our invited guests will contribute custom content to the Fair Instagram account for a day. You can see the Fair through different eyes and follow their adventures at our official Instagram account @officialalaskastatefair or follow the hashtag #AKFairFun on Instagram or Twitter.
Here’s who will be taking over the Fair this year:
- Friday, August 25 – Erin Kirkland, AK on the Go. Erin Kirkland is a freelance writer, author of the “Alaska On the Go” guidebook series and publisher of AKontheGO.com, Alaska’s only family travel resource. Her work has appeared in Alaska Magazine, Alaska Beyond Magazine and other national outlets. Erin is also a columnist for the Alaska Dispatch News and contributes to KTVA 11’s Daybreak morning show as the station’s “Family Fun Expert.” You can find Erin on Instagram at @akonthego and at akonthego.com.
- Saturday, August 26 – Scott McMurren, AlaskaTravelgram. Scott McMurren is an Alaska travel junkie who publishes the Alaska Travelgram, an email travel newsletter, as well as the Alaska TourSaver, a 2-for-1 travel coupon book. Scott lives in Anchorage with his wife, dog and his kids “as they drift hither and yon” and with “lots of sporting equipment in various states of disrepair.” You can find Scott on Instagram at @alaskatravelgram and at AlaskaTravelgram.com.
- Sunday, August 27 – Mikey Huff, AkelaCollective. Mikey Huff is an Alaska-born photographer with a penchant for adventure. Discovering photography late in his high school career, he took to it without looking back. His pursuit of images has taken him from the North Slope of Alaska, to the flea markets of rural Florida. He is a social media entrepreneur, working to build up the community around him. You can find Mikey on Instagram @mikeyhuff and at mikeyhuff.com.
- Thursday, August 31 – Laura Sampson, Little House Big Alaska. Laura Sampson is on a mission. As a lifelong Alaskan, she wants the entire world to know that there’s more to the state than snow and hockey. Laura shares about real life in Alaska, recipes, and other family topics on her blog Little House Big Alaska. She’s a digital influencer, social media specialist, freelance writer and Livestreamer for hire. Laura lives in her original colony house in Palmer with her husband, two of their sons, two dogs and two cats. When she’s not online she enjoys knitting, biking, volunteering and rousing games of badminton. You can find Laura on Instagram @littlehousebigalaska and at Little House Big Alaska.
- Friday, September 1 – Adam Legg, LeggLife. Adam Legg is a digital strategist, small business owner, social media nerd, YouTuber, nonprofit executive director, and bearded male. He and his wife Sherri love experiencing Alaska, traveling and sharing their adventures via their LeggLife YouTube channel. You can find Adam on Instagram @AdamLegg and at LeggLife.
- Sunday, September 3 – Angela Gonzalez, Athabascan Woman. Angela Gonzalez (Koyukon Athabascan) is the indigenous communications manager for First Alaskans Institute. She enjoys taking photos and blogging about the Athabascan culture and Alaska Native topics on her blog, the Athabascan Woman. Angela is a member of the Alaska Native Media Group and the Public Relations Society of America – Alaska Chapter. You can find Angela at @ayatlin on Instagram and at Athabascan Woman.
Remember: You can keep up with the takeovers and see what’s happening at the Fair by following our official Instagram account @officialalaskastatefair or follow the hashtag #AKFairFun on Instagram or Twitter!