Submit your Fair Scholarship Application by April 3
If you are an Alaska high school student planning to attend college or vocational school, be sure to apply for a scholarship from the Alaska State Fair. This year, we’ve increased the number of scholarships and the award amounts, plus every applicant will receive two free admissions to the 2017 Fair! Just get your application submitted by 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2017.
We’ll award seven scholarship totaling $7,000 this year (that’s up from five scholarships totaling $4,250 last year!), including:
- First place: $2,500
- Second place: $1,500
- Third place: $1,000
- Four honorable mentions of $500 each
And did we mention that every student who submits a completed application will receive two free admissions to the 2017 Fair?
Here’s what you need to do:
- Make sure you’re eligible to apply. All Alaska junior and senior high school students who plan to attend college or vocational school are eligible.
- Prepare an amazing application packet. (Did you apply for a Fair scholarship last year? If so, you’ll need to create a new application, as resubmissions from the previous year will be disqualified.)
- Submit your application packet no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2017. You can mail or hand deliver your packet to the Alaska State Fair, 2075 Glenn Hwy., Palmer, Alaska 99645.
Here’s what needs to go into your application packet:
- Cover letter including your name, address, phone and email, school name and phone, counselor’s name, and the name of the college or vocational school you plan to attend
- Extracurricular resume including interests, clubs, community service and/or employment
- One letter of recommendation
- A photo that may be used for publicity purposes
- Written essay (1,000 words or less) or creative project (audio, video, performance or visual arts, business plan, social media campaign, arts and crafts, photography, etc.). Please note that DVDs will not be accepted. Students should instead submit videos online.
Your written essay or creative project should address one of the following topics:
- In light of the Fair’s mission statement (check it out on our website), how can the Fair have a greater benefit on your community or in the state of Alaska?
- The Alaska State Fair is always looking for innovative and fun events, activities and contests that are free with fair admission to fairgoers. Create a new event, activity or contest that has minimal cost for the Fair.
- The Alaska State Fair’s primary purpose is to educate fairgoers. How could the Fair improve its educational programming to be more relevant to youth?
- How would you use a 12-foot by 12-foot booth space at the Fair to start your own business or to sell goods or services?
Then be sure to mark your calendar: We’ll announce the 2017 scholarship recipients on or before April 21!