Bringing the Fair to You!
The Alaska State Fair may be coming to a town near you! We have two visits planned in Southeast Alaska next week, and more stops across the state on the horizon. Our schedule kicks off:
- Tuesday, March 6, Ketchikan Rotary Club, noon, Cape Fox Lodge
- Wednesday, March 7, Sitka Chamber of Commerce, noon, Westmark Sitka
Why are we taking the Fair on the road? It’s simple – we want to know how we can become your Fair. Our biggest aspiration is to be “Alaska’s Fair” – not just a fair for the Mat-Su Valley or Southcentral Alaska, but the Fair for everyone in our great state. What things are important to you? What would you like to see at the Fair? We’re listening, so come on out and tell us what’s on your mind.
The visits also give us the opportunity to showcase what the Fair is all about. You already know we have world record-breaking vegetables, prize-winning livestock, tempting Fair food, and thrilling carnival rides. But did you know you can also experience performances from some of the world’s best entertainers in our AT&T Concert Series? And come face to face with diverse cultures, exotic animals and more through our world-class educational exhibits in the Events Center?
We hope you can join us next week for:
- Sneak peek of 2012 Fair. Wondering who we have lined up for the 2012 AT&T Concert Series? Want to be among the first to know the award-winning exhibit that will be featured in the Events Center this year? Come find out what we have planned and let us know what you think!
- Preview our brand new short video. It provides a brief glimpse of everything special about the 2011 Fair, which marked our 75th birthday. A farmer shows off his 859-pound pumpkin. Alaska Native artisans work on their pieces while sharing why they create: to keep their culture and traditions strong and to share that with others. Kids’ eyes light up as they visit the petting zoo or watch the Kenai Racing Pigs. Chef Rob Kinneen talks about how he celebrates indigenous Alaska by cooking traditional foods in contemporary ways. The King Island Dancers perform traditional song and dance, and the Shanghai Acrobats delight and amaze with their daring feats – and that’s just the beginning!
- We want your exhibits! Every year, we get thousands of exhibits from talented folks in Southcentral Alaska. Our goal is to expand that to include exhibits from across the state. Our own Pamella Meekin, vendor and exhibits manager, will share the who, what, where, why and how you can be involved as an exhibitor at the 2012 Fair.
- Q&A session. What do you want to know about the Fair? What do you want us to know? This is your chance ask questions, share ideas and get answers.
If you miss us in Ketchikan and Sitka next week, we are also planning presentations in Juneau, Fairbanks and on the Kenai Peninsula this spring and summer. Be sure to watch our blog and Facebook page for details.
Have an idea for the Fair? Want us to come to your town? Share your thoughts on the Fair’s Facebook page! Want to stay in touch with the Fair? “Like” the Fair on Facebook and sign up to receive email and mobile updates!